Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Cost saver vegetable broth

prepare to be stewed, my prettiesSo many recipes call for vegetable broth, but the thought of going out and spending a dollar and a quarter on just broth irks me for several reasons.  Of-course the cost is always a factor but then the high sodium content along with preservatives, and the not so raving reviews they got from cooks illustrated when they went through the taste test doesn't help their cause.  Vegetable broth can be made very easily and with flavors that you like and have on hand.  You can also be as simple or creative as you like.  My vegetable broth I made yesterday was as simple as it comes: 3 large carrots, 3 medium-sized onions, 4 stalks of celery and about half a head of raw broccoli(left overs) all chopped up in about 5-6 cups of water ( I didn't think to measure it out to see how much i used) and a dash of salt(doesn't need much).  I cooked the veggies for about an hour on a medium heat with a lid.  Then after it cooled I scooped the veggies out, strained the juice and put it into ice cube trays and froze them for later use.  I know I have a very basic recipe if you even want to call it a recipe.  But the beauty is being able to experiment and put whatever vegetables you have in to create your broth.  If you are someone who needs to have a exact recipe or needs more ideas check out this link. Creative Commons License photo credit: theilr

No comments:

Post a Comment