Sunday, June 7, 2009

How to avoid overheating

Refreshment FAIL



When I was in college, the dorm that I used to live in had a sauna in the basement. Being the young men that I was, I totally ignore the sign that said "no exercise" and started doing push ups. After a good 20 minutes, I came out with a towel around waist and before I know it, I passed out. When I finally regain conscience, I was lying naked on the floor, I had absolutely no idea how long was out for, but thank goodness no one saw me (or is it the other way round?)

So don't be a knuckle head and ignore signs, they are there for a reason. Here are some tips to avoid overheating:

  • For every 15 minutes you exercise, drink at least 8 oz. of water.

  • Cover your head. Wear a loose, billed hat and pour water over your head periodically.

  • Listen to your body. The first stages of heat stress are muscle cramps, nausea, headaches, goose bumps on the upper body and unsteady footing. Stop exercising if you experience any of these symptoms.


Do you have other tips? Share them in the comments area. Creative Commons License photo credit: abbamouse

No comments:

Post a Comment