Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Race Challenge: Swim, Bike, Run

Whether you are trying to shed a few pounds, trying to branch out to a different routine or just trying to keep yourself motivated a race may be a great tool to do that with.  No I am not suggesting you training for an Iron Man although if that’s on your list best of luck to you.  But sometimes picking out a race date whether it is a triathlon, a run or a cycling adventure having a set race schedule may help with consistency.  I have done a few races and have found the environment to be a very enjoyable one.  There are people of all shapes, sizes and fitness levels encouraging each other to finish the race strong.  I have found that there are good and bad race days.  My last triathlon I ended up with two flat tires in pouring rain.  If something could go wrong that race it did.  With shoes sopping wet at mile 22 of the bike ride I decided I had had enough.  Sure I was irritated I didn’t finish the race (but the thought of the blisters I knew I would get from a 6mile run in wet shoes was the deal breaker for me), but it wasn’t just about the race it was about the training.  Those months leading up to the race I had faithfully been swimming, biking, and running.  Maybe a race is what you need to challenge yourself. What do you think? I would love to hear your race experiences!IMG_1143
Creative Commons License photo credit: thomas_sly

No comments:

Post a Comment