Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Ups & Downs of High Heels,

93/365 - something blueWe all love that feeling of walking into a room knowing we look tall thin and are exhibiting sleek toned looking legs.  Heels seem to be an easy fix and they are just so much fun to shop for!  But at what cost?  We all deep down know they are not good for our feet and back. But it doesn't end there: research done by Harvard linked high heels and knee osteoarthritis, a painful, degenerative joint disease characterized by the breakdown of the cartilage surrounding the knee. Ouch! Now I am not suggesting that we give up heels all together(although if you can more power to you!), but we need to come up with some good compromises that allow us to keep our sence of style without putting our health at risk.  One of the ways that I have decreased my heel time is by using stylish sandals(I live in hot weather so this works for most of the year).  The key is finding attractive sandals that have good support.  I keep a pair in the car and when I am done wearing my hot little heels to church or to a special dinner date I will switch them out.  Sure I want to make a good first impression whether it be a date or a place I am speaking but I don't want it to wear on my body.  How do you cut down on your heel time?
Creative Commons License photo credit: [lauren nelson]

No comments:

Post a Comment