Monday, July 20, 2009

Carrots and Sight

Ready For the Easter Bunny!When I was a child I was told that carrots were good for my vision.  Well having thick framed glasses that were not of the most attractive nature this was like a fantasy to me.  So I ate them with high hopes and expectations.  Sadly there was no change in my eye sight until I opted for lasik eye surgery.  However I was not completely wrong on them being good for my eyes.  Carrots have no effect on myopia or farsightedness but has an effect on preventing night blindness caused by a deficiency of vitamin A.  Vitamin A combines with the protein opsin in the retina's rod cells to form the substance rhodopsin that the eyes need for night vision.  By consuming just one carrot every few days you will provide enough vitamin A to prevent or overcome night blindness.
Creative Commons License photo credit: Sister72

No comments:

Post a Comment